Sunday, January 06, 2008

Depression! My Story!

I'll make this as short as possible. I was diagnosed with Depression many years ago. Instead of doctors testing my hormones, blood sugar or anything at all, they told me that my depression was genetic and that I didn't produce something (they didn't tell me what at the time) and that I'd have to take medicine for the rest of my life. I was after all "like a diabetic who needs insulin".

That is when the real problems began.

I recall feeling paranoid and crying even more after taking antidepressants than I did before taking them. What did that prove? Hummm that I needed them of course.

Years later after being on antidepressants for so long I reeked of chemicals, and had gained 35 or 40 pounds. Now that I could not sleep anymore nor relax, or feel anything and had my left retina blow out and had holes in my right retina due to the amount of chemicals I had ingested over a decade and a half, I finally found out the answer to WHY I was depressed in the 1st place.

It took watching a health program on Family Net. A show called "Your Health". At the time the host was Doug Kaufmann.

Doug K. spoke about how long term use of antibiotics can cause IBS, Allergies, and Depression. He gave these illnesses in just that order, and that is exactly my history. Exactly in that order. You see, I had taken antibiotics for acne during my teens and twenties. Lots of them! At 21 or so I was diagnosed with IBS, at 24 or so Allergies, and then at 28 I was diagnosed with Depression.

I'm not sure, but I do believe that I had a combo of things happening to me. I had always had difficult menses and expect that Ive always had hormonal issues, then add the antibiotics which cause yeast overgrowth, and pour toxic chemicals into the blood steam that can affect the brain along with the nutritional deficiency they cause because of the altered bowel flora and I was a mess. Add antidepressant drugs to the mix which cause more hormonal disruptions, and deplete or interfere with the ability to absorb the nutrients from the foods I ate and well you get the picture.

So my advice to anyone suffering from depression is to go to a naturopath who will get to the root cause of your health issues and not just cover them up with drugs.

Coming off antidepressant drugs was one of the most difficult things I've ever done in my life. And all the while doing it, the doctors were telling me that I needed them and had to take them for the rest of my life. But my life was just about over. It was get off of them or die! So I did it without the help of a doctor. Slowly cutting the pills down over a 6 month period and even that was probably to fast.

I've been off antidepressants for 6 years now.

At the 2 year mark I thought I'd surely not make it due to the sleeplessness, pain, electric shocks, jitters, and other issues I had from taking antidepressants long term. That is when I found Vibe by Eniva. I credit it with saving my life. It gave me back the nutrients that had been depleted from my body and it allowed me to carry on and to heal. In addition, had I addressed my hormonal issues at the 2 year mark I believe I could have saved myself a lot of healing time.

If you would like to discuss antidepressants, depression, my story or anything related, just give me (Darlene) a call at 502-363-0101. I'd be happy to talk to you!

No comments: